Monday, February 17, 2014

Violette's Lasagna (Crock Pot Lasagna)

This recipe originally appeared in the Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook as Violette's Lasagna, compliments of Violette Harris Denney in Carrollton, GA. Though we don't know her personally, that's still what we sometimes call it!  I have modified it slightly as indicated below.

8 lasagna noodles, uncooked
1 lb. ground beef
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
28-oz. jar prepared spaghetti sauce (I use Ragu.)
1/3 C. water
4-oz. can mushrooms (I hate them so I don't use them!)
15-oz. ricotta cheese (I use cottage cheese instead.)
2 C. shredded mozzarella
1 egg (opt.)
1/2 C. grated Parmesan (opt.)

I've added all kinds of "extras" to this recipe, thinking they'd be yummy, but it really is just delicious as it is.  No need to add sautéed onions or peppers or garlic or anything but what's listed to the red sauce.  I do usually add a beaten egg and grated Parmesan cheese to the cottage cheese mixture with the Italian seasoning.

1. Break noodles. Place half in bottom of greased slow cooker.

2. Brown ground beef in saucepan. Drain. Stir in Italian seasoning. (Again, I add that to the cottage cheese mixture instead.)

3. Stir meat into red sauce with water.

4. Layer half of red sauce, half of cottage cheese mixture, half of cheese over noodles.  Repeat layers.

5. Cover and cook on low for 5 hours.  This will burn on the sides if you leave it too long--or even with this timing if you use a newer Crock Pot with the higher temperature calibration.  

No comments: