Monday, April 6, 2015

Blueberry Pie

Philip's request for one of the Easter desserts this year...

"I didn't know you liked blueberry pie," I said.

"I've never had it," he said, "and I figured it was high time."

I couldn't find my good recipe from years backit was from the mother of a friend from junior high, Diane Whitehurst, whom I haven't kept up with. My kids suggested I call her and ask her for her mom's blueberry pie recipe, but I do not have contact information for her, and even if I did, I figured Easter morning wasn't the time for a conversation along the lines of, "Hi. We haven't talked for 35 years or so. May I have your mom's blueberry pie recipe?"

So, I did what everyone does in the absence of a good, tried-and-true recipe... I looked it up online and chose one that looked good. It set up nicely and filled a deep dish pie pan, my two criteria for this go round. It was also delicious, so it's a keeper until Diane Whitehurst's mom's recipe comes back around sometime. I modified the original a bit, and the new version appears below.

2/3 C. white sugar
4 Tbsp. cornstarch
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
4 C. fresh blueberries
1 pastry recipe for a double-crust pie
1 Tbsp. butter

1. Combine first four dry ingredients and sprinkle over blueberries in a bowl.

2. Line deep dish pie crust with one pastry crust. Pour berry mixture into crust and dot with butter.

3. Cut remaining crust into 1/2-inch strips and form a lattice top to the pie. Crimp and flute edges.

4. Bake pie at 375 degrees until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly, usually between 50 minutes and one hour.

No comments: