Sunday, November 15, 2009

Copycat Zuppa Toscana (Olive Garden Soup)

When I make this, I make a huge quantity. You can cut it down to size according to what your family needs. The quantities are very loose, as I just sort of throw it all together and make as much as I want.

1-2 lb. Italian sausage (I use mild.)
at least 5-6 large baking potatoes, cut in half and sliced into 1/4 in. slices
2 large onions, chopped
1 C. crumbled bacon (or more)
4-5 cloves minced garlic
5-6 C. kale or Swiss chard (I use the entire huge bag of kale from BJ's)
1-2 quarts chicken stock (see recipe here)
1-2 C. heavy whipping cream (I use 1 C. whipping cream, and the rest half and half.)

Cook sausage in cast iron skillet like you would hamburger... press out of casings and cook until crumbly. Drain.

Place onions, potatoes, broth, and garlic in large soup pot, and cook over medium heat until potatoes are done.

Add sausage and bacon. Season with SPG to taste. Simmer for another 5 minutes.

Turn heat to low and add kale and cream. Heat through and serve. (Don't cook the kale... just add it to the hot liquid and then serve, so it stays kinda firm.)

Yum, yum, yum!

No comments: