Tuesday, August 24, 2010

"Pregnancy Stew"

This is the food that the midwife who attended us at home prepared for me after each of my births.  She made me eat this--and only this--for each meal until I had successfully had a bowel movement.

It is a little different and "strange," if you will, but all of my family loved it at the time, and fixing it now carries me instantly back to that deliriously fun, exhausted time of getting to know the new baby.

I don't make it often (the kids don't like it much anymore), but new moms ask me about it all the time (like now), so here's the recipe.

In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, place 1½ inches or so of water in the bottom of the pan.

Layer hard veggies first (sweet potatoes, carrots, onion, broccoli stalks, etc.) then leafy things on top (kale, spinach, broccoli crowns, etc.)

Top with one whole bulb of sliced fresh garlic (yes, a whole bulb, not one clove) and grated fresh ginger.

Bring to a boil.  Cover and cook seven minutes exactly.  Turn off and let sit without opening for a couple of minutes before serving.

Spoon over brown rice.  Add 1 pat of real butter (not margarine) and tamari (not soy) sauce to each serving.

No comments: