Monday, November 18, 2013

Basic Stir-Fry Sauce

My parents have called asking about how to make this basic "knock-off Chinese food" sauce for stir-fried vegetables.  Usually I do the following:

1) Dice whatever leftover meat I have and want to include.

2) Dice whatever veggies I have on hand and want to include: any combination of onion, carrot, pepper, celery, broccoli, etc.

3) Stir-fry the veggies in coconut oil (if I'm in a hurry and need to use high heat) or olive oil (if I have time to cook it over medium heat), seasoning with SPG.

4) If I want a semi-thick sauce like at Chinese restaurants to serve over rice, I make a sauce of the following (usually doubling for my family):

Combine in measuring cup or large mug:
2 tsp. sugar
5+ tsp. soy sauce
2+ tsp. white wine

Carefully stir in (until there are no lumps):
2 tsp. cornstarch

Pour into saucepan and slowly whisk in:
1 C. water

Add Asian seasonings--I use a nice blend from Costco--and maybe some grated fresh ginger and simmer lightly until thickened.  Combine with veggies and meat and serve.  

We like nuts in it, too!  Add almonds, peanuts, cashews, or even walnuts--or just have them available on the table as a topping. 

No comments: