Monday, November 18, 2013

"Laura Rolls" (Dinner Rolls)

This is the dinner roll recipe from my friend Cheri's friend Laura, whom I've never met, but whose dinner rolls are the best we've ever tasted.  They are a must at all holiday meals around here.

1/2 C. warm water
1 tsp. sugar
yeast
1 C. warm milk
1/2 C. butter
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp. salt
1/2 C. sugar (I use 1/3 C.)
4 1/4 C. flour (I use freshly-ground whole wheat)

Dissolve 1 tsp. sugar in water and sprinkle yeast over top.  Scald milk and let cool to warm (or just heat up to right warmth).  Add butter and remaining ingredients to warm milk except flour.  Stir milk mixture into yeast mixture.  Add flour 1 C. at a time.  Rise 2 hours.  Punch down, then rise 1 hour again.  Shape into rolls.  Makes 2 dozen.  Bake at 350 degrees until they smell done.  (Really!  I'm sorry not to know better.  15-20 minutes, maybe?)

No comments: