Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Mexican Chicken Corn Chowder

If you're looking for a "real" recipe, this is from a friend of a friend... I ate this at her house... It was delicious... Mexican Chicken Corn Chowder

In the meantime, I will say that yesterday I made up a very yummy soup that was similar. I was shooting for Crock Pot burrito filling, but it was rather soupy when I finally got home, so I just added some stuff and made it into soup. It was delicious.

Here's what I did, basically, just so I can remember and "get it down" before I forget. If you're game for "winging it," too, then you might want to give it a whirl.

Place 10-20 boneless, skinless thighs (or breasts, or whatever chicken pieces you want) in the Crock Pot with a canned beans (I would have used two, and I would have used black beans, but I only had one and it was pintos, so that's what I did), a chopped onion, minced garlic, and a jar of green salsa.

I put the chicken in semi-frozen, and cooked it all day long on low. When I got home I shredded the meat with a fork and then added a large jar (probably 8 cups or so) of homemade chicken stock, a large can of petite diced tomatoes, a can of hot Rotel tomatoes, some vinegar from the jar of jalapenos, some frozen corn, about half a cup of heavy cream, and various seasonings including Costco's organic no-salt seasoning (a staple around here), a few shakes of Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix, cumin, a good bit of Jane's Crazy Mixed-Up Salt (the secret - I've since discovered - to my mother's delicious homemade turkey soup, and a must-have for successful seasoning of most homemade soups, if you ask me), and SPG (a homemade blend of equal parts salt-pepper-garlic salt that we put on absolutely everything).

If I were making this again, with purpose and deliberateness, I would use black beans instead of pintos and canned hominy instead of the frozen corn, since my family prefers those. Chopped celery would also be good in it.

I served it with grated cheese, sour cream, and salsa as toppings; tortillas (we were originally going to have burritos, remember?!) and corn chips were on the side.

No comments: