Thursday, June 4, 2009

Hearty, Healthy Chicken Stock/Soup

This is about as dull as they come, but it is an absolute staple in our home, so I figured I'd include it. (Plus, I need to link to this post from the other Blog post about the dog!)

I make this whenever we eat/use a rotisserie chicken or two from Costco (relatively cheap, already prepared, and isn't made with any preservatives). Put the two chicken carcasses (I don't bother to pick them so very thoroughly) into a heavy stock pot with the following:

2 chicken carcasses with a bit of meat left on them
enough filtered water to cover them
1 Tbsp. vinegar
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
2 carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
3 celery sticks, coarsely chopped

Put all in the stock pot and let stand for 30-60 minutes. Then bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 6-24 hours. The longer you cook it, the richer and more flavorful it will become. I usually leave it at least overnight, and usually also all day the next day.

About ten minutes before finishing, add a handful of fresh parsley (I have this in my garden), which will impart additional minerals and flavor to the broth.

After this process, the smaller chicken bones will be very soft and can be "smooshed" between your fingers and put on the dog's food!

Strain out all the bones and vegetables and reserve the broth.

I keep some of the it in a large jar in my fridge at all times, freezing the rest. If the refrigerated broth doesn't get used within a week, I will freeze it then. (This is very rare! Think of how many recipes/dishes call for chicken broth! No more nasty bouillon cubes or pasty broth paste...)

It makes a delicious chicken soup all by itself, with either rice or noodles cooked into it with some onion, celery, and carrots. Season liberally with Jane's Crazy Mixed-Up Salt, and you're all set!

The recipe for the chicken stock is from the cookbook Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon.

Remember, "Good broth resurrects the dead" (South American proverb).

No comments: