Monday, July 14, 2014

Nanny's Lazy Daisy Cake

This cake is from my grandmother, who has affectionately come to be referred to as "my Nanny," as opposed to just "Nanny," my kids' grandmother.  My Nanny (Nanny S.) made this whenever she needed a super-easy, super-fast cake to serve within the hour.  It's saved me many times!

Makes small square cake.
(Double for 9x13 and cook 5 extra minutes.)

Mix together:
2 eggs
1 C. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

Sift together* and add to the above mixture:
1 C. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt (I use less.)
(*I do not sift this, but rather put the flour in an even layer on top of the first ingredients, then even scatter the soda and salt across the top layers to be sure it is evenly distributed.)

Heat together* and add to mix:
1/2 C. milk
1 T. butter (I use olive oil.)
(*I do not heat this before adding it to the other ingredients.)

Bake at 350 in a greased pan for 30 minutes.
(Cook 35 minutes for doubled 9x13 pan.)

Frosting
Mix in saucepan:
2 T. butter
3 T. brown sugar
2 T. cream
1/2 C. coconut

Frost cooled cake* with above mixture.
(*I've never let this cake cool more than 5 minutes before glazing.  It is delicious served very warm.)

No comments: